Tuesday, July 15, 2008

A Job Change

I finally switched roles, at least on a part time basis. Last week was the start of my new job at the hospital with a weeks worth of "training". I had to sit for 40 hours and listen to people and learn the computer system the hospital uses. I went from being a stay-at-home mom and part-time student to 40 hour work week woman and mom. Kuddos to all the women out there who do it all the time. I got thru it just fine because I knew it was temporary, I was extremely organized and I have an amazing husband who took the first three days off from work to be with the kids. Oh and of course my BFF Amy took the kids the other two days. Have I mentioned that she is amazing and my kids love her like a second mother. That being said I wouldn't want to do it permanently. It was lot of planning, prepping and worrying about it all working out.

I never understood all the hype about stay-at-home moms vs. working moms. Probably just the media making it up anyway. I'll be honest and just lay it on the line. I love to work outside of the home. I did it occasionally before I started this job and I enjoyed it. I think it makes me a better mom. It gives me the break I need, intellectual stimulation and adult interaction all of which does not revolve around my kids. As you can tell from my previous posts I think my kids are great and I love them so it's not that I am running from them, though there are days I wish I could. It just seems to me a good thing for them to see me work. Most women I know of that work say they think they are better mom for working for all the reasons stated above. I am glad I have the option to do it part-time since it just seems like the perfect balance for me.

1 comment:

The bargain hunter said...

I get it and agree wholeheartedly. I think it is easier to go to work. Being a stay at home mom is very intense.